Are you wondering what exactly is a shrimp creole? Or maybe you’d like to know the contents and mysteries embedded in the dish. Well, this article discusses in detail the very common creole dish found in the united state.
The dish shrimp creole is easy to make tomato-based spicy dish combined with delectable ingredients. It’s a Louisiana creole original which consists of cooked shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce mixture of onion, bell pepper, pepper sauce, and celery served over a hot bowl of white rice. Sometimes like the shrimp creole, other Creole dishes can be prepared using substitutes like meat or preferred seafood for the shrimp. Unlike gumbo and other dishes with the same quality as the creole, the dish does not contain broth as it is simmered to a preferred point of thickness.
How to prepare a shrimp creole
The dish can be prepared with a variety of ingredients listed below;
3 tbsp. butter
1 onion, carefully chopped
1 bell paper, diced
2 Rib celery, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. paprika
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. cayenne
1 (15-oz.) can whole tomatoes, crushed
2 green onions, for garnishing
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 lb. Peeled shrimp (preferably tailed)
White rice for serving (cooked separately)
- Add butter into your skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Next, add your chopped onion, pepper, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Now add your seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, cayenne, oregano, and cook for some time until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Cook on low heat until it simmers and cooks, (5 – 10 minutes)
- Pour in your whole or diced tomatoes and cook until reduced for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then add the green onions and Worcestershire sauce cook for about 10 minutes or more until it achieves desired thickness.
- Turn off the heat and add your lemon juice then stir evenly.
- Now for the shrimp, add oil in a separate skillet, and heat up.
- Add the shrimps and cook until pink and ready on both sides, now Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the prepared spicy tomatoes sauce to the shrimp and garnish with green onions.
- Now serve over a bowl of white rice and enjoy.
Note: The dish can pack a punch so if you are not a fan of spicy dishes no worries, just reduce the cayenne to 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon. This way you get to enjoy the dishes without altering the taste that much.Enjoy this mouth-watering tasty dish with a glass of cold juice. The recipe can be altered to improvise for the unavailable ingredients or ingredients available to the cook but the main ingredients still remain tomatoes, shrimp, rice, celery, bell pepper, onion. Now you know what a shrimp creole dish is, for more information on the dish and other easy recipes visit here.